It is not every day you get to hear from world leading researchers, visit a Brain Bank, and learn in depth about the wide field of dementia, but we had this fantastic opportunity as part of World Alzheimer’s Day, with our charity partners Alzheimer’s Research UK. Simon McDermott, regional fundraising officer for the charity arranged lab tours for interested Simple Life residents, Sigma Capital colleagues and our business partners. We were privileged to have Dr Andrew Robinson, Brain Bank Manager and active researcher, as well as Brain Bank coordinator Phillip Tinkler, take time out of their schedules to explain their work and give us a tour of the labs at Salford Royal Hospital. What an honour it was to hear the stories, learn of the vital work this team undertake on our behalf and indeed hear how we can help further.
The charity rely heavily on donations and our support was the result of Simple Life resident nominations, and is a partnership we are keen to build. It was wonderful to be able to offer this experience and we look forward to supporting their work further going forward.
Those met are clearly passionate about their work, caring for the people they meet, and hugely grateful and respectful of donated brains and funds, as without such donations they could not make the strides they are making in understanding this disease and the impacts on so many.
· The word ‘dementia’ is an umbrella term for symptoms such as memory loss, confusion and personality change.
· Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common but other causes include vascular dementia, dementia with Lewy bodies and frontotemporal dementia.
· Dementia is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the UK.
· Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias now account for more than 12% of all deaths
· Dementia is not an inevitable part of ageing.
· Dementia is more than just memory loss. The condition affects people in different ways.
To learn more click the links below: https://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/dementia-information/need-to-know-more/facts-stats/11-things-you-need-to-know-about-dementia/ https://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/campaign/for-a-cure/
Thank you to the team at Manchester Brain Bank for a fascinating day, and to those who came along.